The Supreme Court has scheduled oral argument in two of the cases I've been following, Clayworth v. Pfizer and County of Santa Clara v. Superior Court (ARCO). I'm going to try to attend both and provide reports here.
Monday, May 3, 2010, 1:30 p.m., San Francisco
Clayworth v. Pfizer, Inc., no. S166435 (review granted 11/19/08)
- Issues: (1) When plaintiffs pay overcharges on goods or services as a result of the anticompetitive conduct of defendant sellers but recover the overcharges through increased prices at which the goods or services are sold to end users, may defendants assert a "pass-on" defense and argue that plaintiffs were not injured because they did not suffer financial loss as a result of the anticompetitive conduct? (2) Is restitution available under the Unfair Competition Law (Bus. & Prof. Code, 17200 et seq.) to plaintiffs who recovered from third persons the overcharges paid to defendants? (3) When plaintiffs recover from third persons the overcharges paid to defendants, have they suffered actual injury and lost money or property for purposes of establishing standing under the Unfair Competition Law, as amended by Proposition 64?
- Court of Appeal Opinion: Clayworth v. Pfizer, Inc., 165 Cal.App.4th 209 (2008)
Wednesday, May 5, 2010, 9:00 a.m., San Francisco
County of Santa Clara v. Superior Court (Atlantic Richfield Co.), no. S163681 (review granted 07/23/08)
- Issue: May a public entity retain private counsel to prosecute a public nuisance abatement action under a contingent fee agreement?
- Court of Appeal Opinion: County of Santa Clara v. Superior Court (Atlantic Richfield Co.), 161 Cal.App.4th 1140 (2008)
- Briefs: Some of the briefs are collected at this link