Registration is now open for the State Bar's 20th Annual Golden State Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Institute & Antitrust Lawyer of the Year Award Dinner, which will take place on Thursday, October 21, 2010 at the Westin St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco.
This year, I am co-organizing the conference, along with Craig Corbitt of Zelle Hofmann. The morning will feature panels of interest to both antitrust and UCL attorneys, and the afternoon will feature breakout sessions with more in-depth coverage of particular topics. I encourage everyone who handles UCL cases to attend.
The complete program schedule is available at this link. These are the two afternoon UCL panels:
UCL Breakout #1 (2:15-3:45 p.m.) - Advanced Principles: UCL Standing and Class Certification
This panel will address standing and class certification under the UCL’s three prongs, with particular focus on the differences (if any) between UCL class action practice in state and federal courts.
- Daveed A. Schwartz, Moderator, Bullivant Houser Bailey PC
- David W. Kesselman, Blecher & Collins
- Monique Olivier, The Sturdevant Law Firm
- Roxane A. Polidora, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
UCL Breakout #2 (4:00-5:15 p.m.) - Advanced Principles: UCL Remedies and Defenses
This panel will discuss the UCL’s restitution and injunctive relief remedies, the interplay between the two, including the impact of Clayworth v. Pfizer, and the continued development of defenses in UCL actions.
- H. Scott Leviant, Moderator, Spiro Moss LLP
- Dina E. Micheletti, Fazio | Micheletti LLP
- Heather A. Moser, Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Paul J. Riehle, Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold LLP
- Honorable Zaven V. Sinanian, Los Angeles County Superior Court