It's not too late to register for the State Bar's 20th Annual Golden State Antitrust and Unfair Competition Law Institute, which will take place this Thursday, October 21, 2010 at the Westin St. Francis Hotel in San Francisco.
The panels are going to be great. In the afternoon, there will be two advanced UCL panels, one focusing on standing and class certification and the other on remedies and defenses. I've seen the program materials, and they are superb. The panelists are all top practitioners in this field:
UCL Breakout #1: Advanced Principles: UCL Standing and Class Certification. This panel will address standing and class certification under the UCL’s three prongs, with particular focus on the differences (if any) between UCL class action practice in state and federal courts.
- Daveed A. Schwartz, Moderator, Bullivant Houser Bailey PC
- David W. Kesselman, Blecher & Collins
- Monique Olivier, Duckworth Peters Lebowitz Olivier LLP
- Roxane A. Polidora, Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
UCL Breakout #2: Advanced Principles: UCL Remedies and Defenses. This panel will discuss the UCL’s restitution and injunctive relief remedies, the interplay between the two, including the impact of Clayworth v. Pfizer, and the continued development of defenses in UCL actions.
- H. Scott Leviant, Moderator, Spiro Moss LLP
- Dina E. Micheletti, Fazio | Micheletti LLP
- Heather A. Moser, Morrison & Foerster LLP
- Paul J. Riehle, Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold LLP
- Honorable Zaven V. Sinanian, Los Angeles County Superior Court