On Thursday, December 1, 2011, the Arbitration Committe of the ADR Section of the Bar Association of San Francisco will present AT&T Mobility v. Concepcion and its Aftermath. It sounds like an excellent program:
Donald M. Falk
Mayer Brown LLP
Represented AT&T in the case
Jonathan E. Gertler
Chavez & Gertler
President, San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association
John S Worden
Schiff Hardin, LLP
Chair, Arbitration Committee
On April 27, 2011, the United States Supreme Court ruled (5–4) that the Federal Arbitration Act preempts state laws that prohibit contracts from disallowing class action lawsuits. By permitting contracts that exclude class action arbitration, the high court’s decision will make it much harder for consumers to file class action lawsuits. The lawyers who handled the case and oppose its result will discuss and debate the following:
• How has the decision shaken out so far?
• What is left to find out on the California and federal levels?
• What is the next shoe to drop?
• What is the plaintiffs bar doing to adjust/adapt?
• Is there any chance of legislative or executive intervention?
• How does the defense bar view the future?
MCLE Registration: 11:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
Program: 12:00 - 1:30 p.m.